Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Pirates End 32 Year Drought!



1992: Before cell phones were something everybody owned, before computers were in every household, before most of the Pirates players were born. This was the last year the Pirates made the playoffs, 32 long seasons ago. Its been a pathetic and unexciting journey through the muck of the bottom of the league. The Pirates once again have a pulse as they have made an exhilarating run to the top of the brutal NL central. This team isn't filled with superstars or even many all stars; this team represents the grinders. A gritty veteran squad that knew how to win.

This season represents a burden being lifted off of Pirates fans across the city and fans are cautiously optimistic that they can ride this magical season into the World Series. Many of the Pirates players have been with the team for their entire careers and have yet to reach the playoffs.

Tim Alderson said in interview, "Its certainly been a long 14 seasons with the Pirates, I love this city and I love my team and this season have been a culmination of so many efforts. This team has worked as a team to grind out every victory and every game had an importance, it's been special. Pittsburgh deserves a winner and I plan to go out there and give it my all every start and I know my teammates will as well."

Mid Season Acquisition Blake Beavan has this to say in a post celebration interview, "I have to show the pitching staff what the playoffs are all about, it's my responsibility. I have two rings and I would love to make it three here in Pittsburgh. I know I am still new here, but I can feel the pain of the fans. I understand what is on the line this post season, I'm excited"

The Pirates owners are urging fans to get out to PNC park for this seasons playoffs. The Pirates have seen a slight increase in fan support compared to last season but are optimistically expecting sellouts this postseason.

No comments:

Post a Comment