Thursday, June 21, 2012

Ready for the Challenge

Former Los Angeles Dodgers GM Kirby, was introduced as the new Rays gm this afternoon.

Fans, players, and reporters all gathered at Tropicana Field today for the introductory press conference.

"I am honored to stand before you today as the next general manager of the Tampa Bay Rays.  Ten straight consecutive seasons of losing seasons is unacceptable.  The Rays faithful that have stuck with the team deserve better than that.  It is my goal to have a playoff team in five seasons.  It is my goal to stand before you as a world champion.  Anything less than that is unacceptable," kirby said before the crowd at Tropicana Field this afternoon.

Certainly some strong words and goals for kirby.  What do the fans have to say?

"It's been embarrassing watching this team play the last few seasons.  I want a team to be proud of and support 100%.  I think this new guy at gm can put a quality team on the field.  He did that with LA he can do that here."

Some of the fans weren't so optimistic.

"They certainly lost my support with this hire.  The past few seasons have been a joke and you're going to turn it around with this guy?  C'mon!  I get he was "successful" with the Dodgers in putting together a decent team for them, but what did he get for it.  Two playoff appearances and he left a joke of a team for the next gm.  I can't believe this organization.  Rays fans prepare for ten more losing seasons."

Kirby sat down for a couple questions with the Rays insider after the conference.  Here is the entire Q & A.

Rays insider:  Thank you for sitting down with us kirby.
Kirby: No problem.
Rays insider:  How do you respond to the fans that think of this as a bad hire?
Kirby:  I will try my best to put together a good team for the fans.  I think my track record with the three seasons in LA shows that I can put together a good team.
Rays insider:  What are your goals you want to accomplish in the next few seasons?
Kirby:  I want to make going to a Rays game enjoyable both on the field and off the field.  I want to make it a family-fun atmosphere, while still attracting the young people in the Tampa area.  I want to contend and win a division title.  And finally I want to win the World Series and be able to stay competitive in the long haul.
Rays insider:  Alright I think that's all for now.  Thanks for sitting down with us Kirby.  Anything more you would like to add?
Kirby:  I would just like to thank everyone for giving me this chance and oh yeah AL east better watch out in the next few seasons.

This has been an update from the Rays Insider.  Keep checking back for more information on the team and updates with signings and trade announcements.

No comments:

Post a Comment